I’ve been featured on So Money, a podcast by award-winning journalist Farnoosh Torabi.
She edited out the part where I explain that the triple application rejection was actually for KFC. But no worries! It wasn’t ever my ultimate dream to work in a chicken shop, so I wasn’t really cut. I guess she wasn’t impressed with that.
Here’s the summary.
Me: “It was such an important life tribulation! It was actually for KFC!”
Farnoosh: “I’m not familiar with KFC. Do you mean…Kentucky Fried Chicken?”
Me (too enthusiastically about this significant life setback): “Yes!”
Farnoosh (secretly editing that part out): “…”
She also edited the part where I accidentally said, “HELLO!” loudly and way too early because I thought she was done talking.
As well as the bits where we talked over each other awkwardly. There were a few of those. (She did leave in all the praise I had for her.)
How To Win Friends & Influenza doesn’t operate like that. It has more instances (two) of inserted laughter than removed content. The editing is focussed on audio quality and there are no advertisements or revenue aims.
But this was a fun So Money interview nonetheless, where we tell you how to manage your money. Except that you shouldn’t take any of this as financial advice, because it’s not.
Take your lawyers and slowly back away. No one needs to become hurt here.
Just like there’s a difference between a cook and a chef, there’s a difference between a final year medical student and a first year junior doctor.
Or is there?
- Jones, G. (2011). The Difference Between a Cook and a Chef. Retrieved from https://www.reluctantgourmet.com/difference-cook-chef/
Chronic diseases can strike people of all ages, from foetus to corpse (probably not inclusive). Adolescent medicine is what it sounds like: the branch of medicine that deals with adolescents, particularly when it comes to chronic diseases.
In this episode, Dr Linette talks about what adolescent medicine involves and the type of health practitioner it suits.
About the guest speaker
Dr Linette Gomes is a paediatrician and adolescent medicine physician. She is currently appointed as a senior staff specialist in the Adolescent and Young Adult Medicine (AYAM) Unit of Westmead Hospital.
Dr Linette’s specialty is in the area of behavioural and developmental paediatrics. She has a PhD. in “Medical Expertise in the Management of Attention Deficit Disorder (ADHD) with Hyperactivity” from the Children’s Hospital Education Research Institute at Westmead Children’s Hospital.
Dr Linette was previously the Head of Paediatrics at Hawkesbury District Hospital. She continues to have a private clinical practice at Rouse Hill, where she sees younger patients with ADHD, Autistic Spectrum Disorders, learning difficulties and developmental delay. Her main interests and work are now in her staff specialist position at the AYAM unit, Westmead Hospital, where she hopes to make a valuable contribution in the years to come.
Outside her work, Dr Linette’s life revolves around her family and friends. She enjoys reading and travelling.
Opening and closing themes by Lily Chen.
Issues With Breast Tissues
Bras haven’t been proven to be useful. One argument is that it’s more of a personal preference or even a fashion statement.
There isn’t much research on this front. But based on the limited evidence out there, bras are more likely to be harmful if they’re the wrong fit. The nudists win again.
DKA can lead to AKI.
DKA can lead to lactic acidosis, which can be associated with thiamine deficiency.
Thiamine deficiency less commonly involves vomiting, which can stain clothing. The nudists win again.
- Mills, D. (2016). Health Effects of Not Wearing a Bra. Retrieved from https://www.healthline.com/health-news/going-braless-wont-hurt-breast-health
- Why is BRA important?. (2016). Retrieved from https://smah.uow.edu.au/brl/bra/whyisbraimportant/index.html
- Prywes, M. Science Proves That Wearing Bras Is Bad For Your Health. Retrieved from https://www.lifehack.org/336735/science-proves-that-wearing-bras-bad-for-your-health
- Hunimed Web Team. (2017). The advantages and disadvantages of wearing a bra. Retrieved from https://www.hunimed.eu/news/advantages-disadvantages-wearing-bra/
- Orban, J. C., Maizière, E. M., Ghaddab, A., Van Obberghen, E., & Ichai, C. (2014). Incidence and characteristics of acute kidney injury in severe diabetic ketoacidosis. PloS one, 9(10), e110925. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0110925
- Feenstra, R. A., Kiewiet, M. K., Boerma, E. C., & ter Avest, E. (2014). Lactic acidosis in diabetic ketoacidosis. BMJ case reports, 2014, bcr2014203594. doi:10.1136/bcr-2014-203594
- Moskowitz, A., Graver, A., Giberson, T., Berg, K., Liu, X., Uber, A., Gautam, S., … Donnino, M. W. (2013). The relationship between lactate and thiamine levels in patients with diabetic ketoacidosis. Journal of critical care, 29(1), 182.e5-8.
- Berkheiser, K. (2018). 11 Signs and Symptoms of Thiamine (Vitamin B1) Deficiency. Retrieved from https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/thiamine-deficiency-symptoms
Why do your feet swell during aeroplane flights? It’s not sudden-onset elephantiasis (probably).
Instead, it’s due to blood pooling in your veins. (As blood tends to do when stationary, thanks to gravity.)
Yes, gravity strikes again!
- Sheps, S. (2016). Foot swelling during air travel: A concern?. Retrieved from https://www.mayoclinic.org/foot-swelling/expert-answers/faq-20057828
It can be uncomfortable if something pointy lodges in your throat. You know, like a fish bone.
Fortunately, there are supposedly things you can do to solve this. In fact, it’s more likely that the fish bone is longer there.
Although the world has seen the creation of seedless watermelons, boneless fish are yet to exist. We await that glorious day, as do our plates.
- Knight, L. C., & Lesser, T. H. (1989). Fish bones in the throat. Archives of emergency medicine, 6(1), 13-6.
- What to Do When a Fish Bone Gets Stuck in Your Throat. (2019). Retrieved from https://www.healthline.com/health/fish-bone-stuck-in-throat
- Seedless watermelon – how do they do that?. (2012). Retrieved from https://www.canr.msu.edu/news/seedless_watermelon_how_do_they_do_that
As delicious as they might be, persimmons can cause a phytobezoar. This refers to an indigestible clump of fibres that can lead to intestinal obstruction. (Everyone’s least favourite thing, unless you’re super weird!)
That’s an uncommon complication from eating too many of this fruit, not that eating fruit is inherently a bad thing.
Luckily, persimmon phytobezoars can be conquered with Coca-Cola.
It’s drinks such as that which, under normal circumstances, contain an excess of sugar. That’s in contrast to fruit. Ironically, in this case, the roles of causative agent and cure have been reversed.
- Picco, M. (2017). Bezoars: What foods can cause this digestive problem?. Retrieved from https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/gastroparesis/expert-answers/bezoars/faq-20058050
- Naotake Funamizu, Tomotaka Kumamoto, Atsushi Watanabe, Tomoyoshi Okamoto, and Katsuhiko Yanaga (2015) Intestinal Obstruction Caused by Persimmon Bezoar: A Case Report. Int Surg: July-August 2015, Vol. 100, No. 7-8, pp. 1194-1198.
- DAVIS C, TARUN D. The Persimmon Bezoar. AMA Arch Surg. 1957;75(2):188–192. doi:10.1001/archsurg.1957.01280140026005
- Fengbo Tan, Hongbin Mo, Xiao He, Haiping Pei; An unusual case of gastric outlet obstruction caused by multiple giant persimmon phytobezoars, Gastroenterology Report, , gow042, https://doi.org/10.1093/gastro/gow042
- Hayashi, K., Ohara, H., Naitoh, I., Okumura, F., Andoh, T., Itoh, T., Nakazawa, T., … Joh, T. (2008). Persimmon bezoar successfully treated by oral intake of Coca-Cola: a case report. Cases journal, 1(1), 385. doi:10.1186/1757-1626-1-385
- Ertuğrul, G., Coşkun, M., Sevinç, M., Ertuğrul, F., & Toydemir, T. (2012). Treatment of gastric phytobezoars with Coca-Cola given via oral route: a case report. International journal of general medicine, 5, 157-61.
- Dickinson, K., & Bernstein, J. (2018). If sugar is so bad for us, why is the sugar in fruit OK?. Retrieved from https://theconversation.com/if-sugar-is-so-bad-for-us-why-is-the-sugar-in-fruit-ok-89958