Nursing and doctoring are hearty friends who hold hands while prancing off into the sunset. Together, their teamwork is something that can make health care great. Long live patient welfare!
In this episode, Pete talks about what nursing involves, different types of nursing and how nurses and doctors can work together to make a better patient experience.
About the guest speaker
Pete Kelly has been nursing for 17 years – with 16 of those in anaesthetic nursing. His passion for patient care in the perianaesthetic field is backed up by his involvement in research and education, specifically pertaining to difficult airway management and trauma anaesthesia.
Pete is keen to see the field of anaesthetic nursing grow with the addition of skills and responsibilities.
Maniacal laughter by Justin “Purple J” Lambert, Stan “Disapproving Head Shake” Domeshok, German “German Dave” Dave and Anushka “Gate Opener” Wikramanayake.
Fan feedback by Justin “Purple J” Lambert, Stan “Disapproving Head Shake” Domeshok, German “German Dave” Dave, Anushka “Gate Opener” Wikramanayake, Katie “Spanish Influenza” Honan and Sal “Moral Support” Yeung.
Opening and closing jingles by Katie “Spanish Influenza” Honan.
Backing music by Lily Chen.
It’s always the greatest when mnemonics match the thing they’re relating to.
Even if it does involve a couple of extra Ps.
Inhaled Corticosteroids if FEV1>50% with 2+ exacerbations/year and a short course of systemic corticosteroids for severe exacerbations
Home Oxygen and oxygen during exacerbations to maintain SpO2 at 88-92%
Prevention with smoking cessation and immunisations against influenza and pneumococcus
Penicillin, meaning amoxycillin or the non-penicillin doxycycline for severe exacerbations
- Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. In: eTG complete [Internet]. Melbourne: Therapeutic Guidelines Limited (eTG July 2018 edition); 2015 Mar.
If any of the following conditions are met, it is an exudate, full of protein and turbid, unclear fluid. Think malignancy or certain infections.
- Pleural fluid protein / serum protein > 0.5
- Pleural fluid LDH / serum LDH > 0.6
- Pleural fluid LDH > 2/3 x upper limit of normal serum LDH
- Criterion 1 = protein
- Criterion 2 = LDH
- Criterion 3 = LDH again
- Increasing numbers
- 0.666666 to infinity
- MDCalc. (2018). Light’s Criteria for Exudative Effusions. [online] Available at: https://www.mdcalc.com/lights-criteria-exudative-effusions [Accessed 14 Sep. 2018].
- Exeter Clinical Laboratory International. (2018). Transudate or Exudate / Blood Sciences Test. [online] Available at: https://www.exeterlaboratory.com/test/transudate-or-exudate/ [Accessed 14 Sep. 2018].
These are artifacts that occur in the blood smears of patients with chronic lymphocytic leukaemia. They happen because the cells are rather fragile.
Memory aids make life better.
Smudge cells are associated with CLL.
- LabCE. (2018). Smudge Cells. [online] Available at: https://www.labce.com/spg48905_smudge_cells.aspx [Accessed 11 Sep. 2018].
Bones are the putative skeleton of the human body, so it’s important that they’re not broken. Hold on! They actually are the skeleton! That means we need orthopaedic surgery to fix them.
In this episode, Dr Saqib talks about orthopaedic surgery, charitable work and international inequalities in health care.
About the guest speaker
Dr Saqib Noor is an orthopaedic surgeon and creative genius.
Dr Saqib has written a book, Surgery on the Shoulders of Giants, describing his life changing experiences as a surgeon in austere settings (http://mybook.to/SotSog) and has used these experiences to help start a new project dedicated to improving global surgery worldwide – One Surgery (https://one.surgery).
Opening and closing themes by Lily Chen.
Which side of the heart does each atrioventricular valve correspond to? Memory aids enlighten us all!
- Tricuspid is in the right heart
- Mitral is in the left heart
What about the semilunar valves? They must not be forgotten! And so they shan’t be!
- Pulmonary goes to the lungs and is on the right
- Aortical goes to the rest of the body and is on the left