Why do your feet swell during aeroplane flights? It’s not sudden-onset elephantiasis (probably).
Instead, it’s due to blood pooling in your veins. (As blood tends to do when stationary, thanks to gravity.)
Yes, gravity strikes again!
- Sheps, S. (2016). Foot swelling during air travel: A concern?. Retrieved from https://www.mayoclinic.org/foot-swelling/expert-answers/faq-20057828
As delicious as they might be, persimmons can cause a phytobezoar. This refers to an indigestible clump of fibres that can lead to intestinal obstruction. (Everyone’s least favourite thing, unless you’re super weird!)
That’s an uncommon complication from eating too many of this fruit, not that eating fruit is inherently a bad thing.
Luckily, persimmon phytobezoars can be conquered with Coca-Cola.
It’s drinks such as that which, under normal circumstances, contain an excess of sugar. That’s in contrast to fruit. Ironically, in this case, the roles of causative agent and cure have been reversed.
- Picco, M. (2017). Bezoars: What foods can cause this digestive problem?. Retrieved from https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/gastroparesis/expert-answers/bezoars/faq-20058050
- Naotake Funamizu, Tomotaka Kumamoto, Atsushi Watanabe, Tomoyoshi Okamoto, and Katsuhiko Yanaga (2015) Intestinal Obstruction Caused by Persimmon Bezoar: A Case Report. Int Surg: July-August 2015, Vol. 100, No. 7-8, pp. 1194-1198.
- DAVIS C, TARUN D. The Persimmon Bezoar. AMA Arch Surg. 1957;75(2):188–192. doi:10.1001/archsurg.1957.01280140026005
- Fengbo Tan, Hongbin Mo, Xiao He, Haiping Pei; An unusual case of gastric outlet obstruction caused by multiple giant persimmon phytobezoars, Gastroenterology Report, , gow042, https://doi.org/10.1093/gastro/gow042
- Hayashi, K., Ohara, H., Naitoh, I., Okumura, F., Andoh, T., Itoh, T., Nakazawa, T., … Joh, T. (2008). Persimmon bezoar successfully treated by oral intake of Coca-Cola: a case report. Cases journal, 1(1), 385. doi:10.1186/1757-1626-1-385
- Ertuğrul, G., Coşkun, M., Sevinç, M., Ertuğrul, F., & Toydemir, T. (2012). Treatment of gastric phytobezoars with Coca-Cola given via oral route: a case report. International journal of general medicine, 5, 157-61.
- Dickinson, K., & Bernstein, J. (2018). If sugar is so bad for us, why is the sugar in fruit OK?. Retrieved from https://theconversation.com/if-sugar-is-so-bad-for-us-why-is-the-sugar-in-fruit-ok-89958
Lipase is more specific for pancreatic disorders than amylase.
Lipase has a p in it. So does pancreas.
Amylase has nothing.
- Healthline. (2018). Amylase and Lipase Tests: Preparation, Procedure, and Results. [online] Available at: https://www.healthline.com/health/amylase-and-lipase-tests#understanding-your-results [Accessed 12 Jul. 2018].
Femoral neck fracture: shortened and externally rotated.
- Walker, B. R., Colledge, N. R., Ralston, S., & Penman, I. D. (2014;2013;). Davidson’s principles and practice of medicine (22nd ed.). Edinburgh: Churchill Livingstone/Elsevier.
After you apply some wrapping around wet plaster, you might notice that the patient’s limb feels warm.
Is this simply a product of insulation?
No, it’s not just this reason.
It’s primarily because plaster and water form an exothermic reaction, so heat is released.
People can be burned by this!
- Burghardt, R. D., Anderson, J. G., Reed, R. A., & Herzenberg, J. E. (2014). Exothermic properties of plaster–synthetic composite casts. Journal of Children’s Orthopaedics, 8(2), 193-201. doi:10.1007/s11832-014-0563-6